Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Perfect Day



It is so easy to get caught up in the urgent daily struggles and stresses, obsessing and complaining and worrying about each one. It is less easy to remember to 'stop and smell the chrysanthemums.'(OK, the original is roses but that is so lame and common and it is Fall after all). I am as guilty as the next and am feeling the need to remedy that situation here and now. Today is sunny, in the low 70*'s and beautiful, especially after worshipping God at church this morning and remembering His grace in my life. But that is not the perfect day of which I speak.

Yesterday was the Perfect day.
I had a good night's sleep and that began the morning well, and when I poured my first freshly brewed cup of Brasilian coffee with International Creamer making it taste more like dessert than coffee, I was as content as my cat sleeping in the sun.

Grandson Ethan arrived for the day with a smile and a jump. He always gives a little jump when he arrives, then makes a beeline for the dog.


Then he and I played a bit and headed to Aunt Margie's house where 2 champion soccer players and games were scheduled at noon. Ethan was beside himself with anticipation so I just moved the time forward and off we went!

Soccer is in my blood and the thought of watching a game with my son-in-law coaching and grandsons playing is always cause for joy. When I arrived at their home there were 3 bikers in the driveway, a granddaughter moving her way next to my car door and another little girl bouncing out the door. The "Hi Grammy"'s were quickly followed by the 'watch me Grammy's' and I eagerly obliged. We had a couple of wipe-outs, a game playing request, a pair of arms yanking at my pant leg and a little boy in the car grinning from ear to ear. Six little wonders within 3 feet of me, do you feel the warmth and love??

Off to the Games!


Watching Eliot(the 7 year old) and Jesse(the 5 year old)play soccer, while babysitting Ethan (the 2 1/2 yr old) and still paying attention to Simon (the 6 yr old) and Nora(the 3 yr old) and Bianca (the cuddly 2 yr old) is a challenge for the best Grammy in town , but this Grammy is also passionate about photography, so my hands were quite full. Literally.









But I managed, happily and have about 50 pictures to prove it.

After the rousingly exciting games Ethan and I packed up and headed North to visit the cousins in Boyertown. We had a nice ride and other than the annoying road construction which has the potential to take away from the nice part, the trip went smoothly.

On the schedule for the Boyertown visit was Aidan's first haircut and at almost 2 years of age, this was a highly anticipated photo op for Grammy and emotional melt-down day for Mom. I had my haircut first and mom explained to Aidan that he needed to sit still and take off his glasses and be a quiet boy , see Grammy? We took a before picture(of course).



As Aidan climbed into his chair he reached up and removed his glasses...oh my, my heart melted.



Mommy let out a scream after the first cut, but other than that momentary distraction,Aidan and Grammy love our new haircuts !!







The day was almost over and still to come was a visit from two of our close friends , Muoy and Ron, who brought dinner! As Muoy and Becca made jasmine rice, pork chops and green beans with apple dumplings, I was outside watching the 2 year olds play. Such a normal activity, and yet I was focused on enjoying the moments individually and refusing to not savor every event. Aidan and Ethan decided to pick the green tomatoes, and after mom told them not to , I noticed a lingering in the garden area, so I investigated. There, on the ground under his boot, Aidan had 'hidden' the tiny tomato so as to make sure mommy didn't see it!






Dinner came after a long day of fun and I was so thankful to be sitting among these gifts of mine.



It is oftentimes easy to complain about my Isabel and Ava living so far away , it is easy to fuss about the hot or cold weather not being just right. It is often my voice heard among the gripers who moan and groan about aches and pains. I am too often found wondering what life would be like if my husband were still here, if the sons still living at home were on their own, if the cat disappeared or the dog ran away!! Why? Why am I unable to JUST BE? Just BE THANKFUL?! Just BE CONTENT?!

I memorized a portion of God's Word in the book of Psalms when I was younger and as I was writing this Blog it kind of jumped out of my normally jumbled mind. Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.

My Perfect Day. It was like any other Autumn Saturday in many ways, but in the most important way it was different. The difference was in how I appreciated it and how I mentally noted the Goodness of the Lord in every single moment.

I think I will have alot more Perfect Days..it isn't that hard.
Thanks for Lunch Carolyn! You gave me a head start on today!!

1 comment:

Timmers said...

The reader is compelled to wonder what Carolyn served for lunch. Maybe some special brownies? You can kick the kids out and euthanize the animals. That will help your future days. And I would drop in at Carolyn's regularly. See? I have you all hooked up!