Friday, April 30, 2010

Out with the trash


I went outside at 5:30 am when I awakened from a dream-filled sleep a bit earlier than predicted. Since I went upstairs to bed last night at 8:30 pm to read and escape my realities, chances were pretty good I would wake early.

Downstairs, even in the early morning light, the computer was humming, the lights were on in varying places, revealing quickly that my talk on electricity consumption was not properly appreciated yesterday.

Proceeding down the stairs, I opened windows because , after all, the weatherman promised a weekend of 80* weather, and believe me, Friday is the weekend. So at the foot of the stairs(who says foot of the stairs anymore?) there was a shadow I had not seen before. My children can attest to the fact that I am very observant, this displeasing especially the two sons, aged 22 and 25, who abide in their beds as I type. The shadow turned out to be cat vomit. There was a reason the sweet cat Apryl has been banned from the house, and this was talk number two I realized nobody heard.



Continuing on to the bathroom, I discovered another tell tale sign that disturbed my maternal sense of well being. Let's just say here that a son apparently went the way of the cat, and I do not mean he is outside.

Yesterday was horrid. It included, but was not limited to, me focusing too much on the present difficulties rather than the future Hope that I maintain I am addicted to. Most addictions people want you to quit, but in my case and example, my addiction is vital to my being.

If in this life only we have HOPE in Christ, we are of all men the most pitiable.(I cor. 15;19) Now faith is the substance of things HOPED for, the evidence of things not seen. (Hebrews 11;1)

Now at this juncture I could expand upon the nastiness of yesterday , but here is where the story line takes a dramatic turn for the better! Who wants to wade through other's mud when we all have our own? Stick with me in my wanderings and you will see what I am talking about!

Every morning one of the first things I do is open all curtains and windows when the temperature allows. I like light and air :-). I then , believe it or not, walk outside and check out the neighborhood, how it slept and what's new. This morning there was a Huge pile of junk, trash and treasures from my very own basement that were awaiting the trash truck.
This is a huge Pile and is only here for about 30 more minutes when these magical and wonderful men will throw everything that is there into their truck and whisk it away as if it had never been!!

Simultaneously, I looked up to God's heavens and saw a Huge Full Moon shining through a beautifully blossoming Dogwood Tree.




Now I ask you, as I humbly asked myself this morning....which should I be looking at today? and tomorrow? and should have looked at yesterday? Should I keep my eyes on that pile of trash, which will go away very soon, with no evidence of ever having been? OR shall I keep my eyes on that gorgeous Moon, then the Sun, and the trees and the beautiful flowers that will be around all day and into next week and beyond, knowing that the One Who placed them is also handling quite nicely , my messes?

Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,looking unto Jesus ,the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.(Hebrews 12:1)

What a no brainer. OK, and I hear the truck coming......

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel lighter already ~ Mel

Unknown said...

We so often focus on what's sloshing around our feet (like Peter) rather than on the heavens (from whence our help comes)

maryb said...

thanks Susan, your blog is very insightful, encouraging and thought provoking. Great analogies!