Sunday, June 2, 2013

Never Deleted

My mind is like a computer, as has often been said to little people when they are watching TV. "Your mind is like a computer, what goes in stays there...be careful what you watch."

I guess we forgot about the delete button.

On a computer you can delete the entire item you have just written, talked about, blogged or even Facebook posted. You can even lose something entirely just by blinking, as evidenced by the number of times I have written a blog and lost it. Or an email that is of lengthy proportions...off to cyberspace it flies.

There are several thoughts rambling around in my brain these days and frankly I am tired of them. With my passel of kids and grands there is always something of that genre in the brain pockets, but there are also church issues, work issues, television shows I am waiting to see results of(I watch The Voice :-) ) and then the regular stuff of life, like eavesdropping.

I eavesdropped (ok, where does THAT word have it's origin?!?) yesterday on a conversation between 4 young parents on the virtues of making children make their own beds in the morning. It was a fascinating listen, really, as never before had I even considered that this topic was an optional choice in parenting! No, seriously, we need to discuss the idea as if we were choosing a dinner menu? wow. I am equal parts amazed and astounded. Amazed that parents do not instinctively know that teaching children to care for their own beds, bedrooms, toys and messes builds character, and astounded that there was hesitancy even when faced with the suggestion.

My children , and even my nephews from Brasil who lived with us awhile, know that I was one of the old fashioned variety of mothers who raised her kids to get themselves out of bed on time, then make their own beds as they readied for the day. It became habitual but first was mandatory. Guess I figured it was the parent's job to set the standards and role models. My bed was made every day before I began other tasks, why shouldn't theirs be done?  God said He wanted all things done decently and in order, so that was my standard. My mother before me, also added on the task of changing your sheets on Saturday mornings before 10:00 am, so my kids actually had it easy.

Funny thing is, after they all became adults, I am not real sure the teachings of their youth stuck, or if secret rebellion reigns and they all have messy beds, dirty sheets, dishes in their sinks, and laundry waiting to be folded.... I wonder?

I did an experiment yesterday, by the way. I left my bed unmade all day for the first time in 63 years. Completely out of my comfort zone, and when I went to bed last night I had to make it first, Furthermore, it reminded me to change my sheets this morning since mom would have been disappointed in how long it's been....

Good, I can delete this entire thought process from  my brain now, because for me that is what Blogging really is-my delete button. It is never really gone, just located in another location, somewhere with no attachment to the mind.

Delete.
Are you sure you want to trash this?
Yes, quite sure, my kids are grown.
Thank you, God.

No comments: