Thursday, March 27, 2008

My latest amusement is....

FACEBOOK!

I am seriously too old for this Facebook phenomena , but once you create a 'face' you might as well enjoy it!

First, nobody really instructed me at the rules of the game, and the usual customers being 30 years younger and brighter than I , do not need explanations! But alas, my brain is slowing down and I really have no idea what I am doing most of the time as I peruse the internet and all of it's mysteries. So facebook is just another amusement.

Secondly,what if someone 'writes on your wall'? Are you supposed to write back, answer it, email them, call them on the phone , er, I mean cell? or what exactly is the etiquette here? To ignore seems so rude, for lack of another word, and yet, what is there to say? If I had wanted a chat I would have emailed them and I already felt pretty proud of myself for having 2 ongoing email accounts. Now why I have 2 accounts is another ridiculous story, but let's just say I don't really trust the computer systems that much...

Just this week I was checking my email and lo and behold there was a note from Facebook asking if I wanted a certain MLCross to be my friend! Imagine that! I don't even know who the heck MLCross is!! So I snooped around in Facebook to discover that this mysterious potential friend was born in 1955 and had no profile, no other friends and no picture. Highly suspicious. Why was I chosen to be the first and possibly the only friend of this person? Why aren't they more exciting than asking ME to be their friend? Hmmmm?? It cannot be for my looks, my age or my interesting blogs. It must be for another reason, more subtle and more cunning. Anyway. I said yes.

Then , to make this Facebook action even more interesting, a young(as in very young, as in the age of my #7 of 7 children young...) co-worker wrote on my wall asking when I was working this week. Now don't get me wrong, I was flattered to be asked, but really whatever happened to the email system I just got a handle on? how about one of the 2 phones I pay regularly for that we all must have ? Are these things now obsolete? Should I dump my land line(hear the hip terminology here?) and dump my cell and stop wishing I had Verizon instead of At&T because I like the little crowd that follows you around if you have Verizon? Shall I not care that in a month postage rates are going up again and throw away my stationery? Just buy a Laptop, find a connection by stealing from someone else's what have you, and log into Facebook! The solution to life's relationship issues!!

When I knew I was in over my head, however , was a few minutes ago. I decided to make a couple of photo albums, any excuse to share pictures will do, and so I did.
I made one of People I like, and one of Birds. Oftentimes these are one and the same, but nevermind , that isn't my point right now. After I finished uploading or downloading or whatever it is we do in these circumstances, I began checking out other options for the evening entertainment. LOST doesn't start for at least another hour. I found myself looking at "Your activities scheduled" and of course, being the well rounded, active person I am, there were none listed. Now here's the scary part: pay attention to see if you agree with me: I found myself clicking on the icon that said, and I am not joking Friends activities!! NO LIE< I AM SO TELLING YOU THE TRUTH!! I began laughing to myself hysterically(one of the sad parts of single living) and decided that should I be so boring as to need another person's activities update to make my evening interesting, well, I should really just go write a Blog or something. So consider this my therapy Blog.
Good night-time for LOST.

2 comments:

Timmers said...

The writer's strike had a good caveat...it allowed me to watch college basketball and not miss LOST rerun. Upload is something you send the internet FROM your hard drive, download is when you extract something from the internet TO your hard drive. In caps lock, the comma becomes a "less than" symbol. I was hit in the face by a book once, and I have stayed away from that stuff ever since. Most healthy families do not have time for facebook or myspace. Which is probably why we were checking out other people's activities last night.

Anonymous said...

So how do you get to the Facebook account? Not too swift in that area myself, although I do pride myself on a certain amount of internet savvy....