Sunday, April 6, 2008

Special Day in Garcia History



Attention all you History buffs(and why are they called 'buffs' may I insert here?), this is an extraordinary day in the Garcia Family History line. Please bear with me, as our line is diminishing as we move forward,and I really want there to be a legacy to claim.
On this day, year 1956, there was a birth of a beautiful baby girl to Paul and Marjorie Garcia, residing in Ithaca, NY. She was special in her own rite, but there were other factors making her special too. She was six years behind this blogger's birth, and in between had been born 2 other sisters. The fourth sister in any family has a real disadvantage as she claims the place of "Baby'. First dilemma, she is never quite old enough. Secondly, she always wears all graciously received hand-me-downs. The bane of every large family existence are these hand- me- downs. Mothers rejoice as they are piled into the back of the car, sisters moan under their breath while all the time being forced to say "thank you so much! Mrs. 'feel sorry for my large family church lady!' " Thirdly, baby sister Cindy always has to play the role of whomever the older sisters are imagining during playtime. TSK. TSK. The little one hasn't a chance at a normal life!
On this same day, in 1960, I was rudely awakened from a deep sleep in my upper bunkbed, to my Grandmother whipering softly, "you finally have a baby brother Susie!" I do not remember another thing about Timmy's birth except I was supposed to be thrilled beyond words that he was a he and not another she. And really, couldn't that news have waited until morning to be shared with this mature, wise beyond her years, 10 year old oldest sister?? As an aside, that was not the only time over the past 48 years that I lost sleep over this baby boy!
Unfortunately for Timmy, following 4 years behind the last baby sister has had it's disadvantages. For instance, Timmy was always told at the joint birthday parties that he was his sister's birthday gift! Now I am not sure why this didn't make Cindy more delighted to open her gifts each year, knowing that her biggest present shared the date with her in person! Truly, often to this day, I think to myself as searching for the perfect gift: " well, who can top that? so why bother sending anything?" So I don't.
Another observed disadvantage is that the 'man' in the family can never quite reach the top of the pile as far as all of us listening to his sage advice, or going to him for his opinion or his wisdom. We women have already concluded what the best course of action should be,(after all, we are the older, smarter and more spiritual ones)so asking Timmy anything beyond,"How's the weather?" is a total waste of energy.[to be clarified...this is tongue in cheek]
Clearly my intentions today are to remember my baby sister and baby brother in a loving manner. I have been privileged to be called the big sister for many years and I am fully aware of the brevity of our time here on earth. As the years roll by, God has not given us any guarantees for the amounts of time we are to be here, but He has given us the guarantee of an eternal existence. I am so thankful to Him that my baby sister and baby brother both know Him and we will spend the rest of all eternity, timeless and permanently the same age, worshipping the Lord of the Sabbath.

I love you both sincerely and forever.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember when Mom came home from the hospital with Tim. Not much else though. Not to be too trite, but how time does fly, doesn't seem like it could have been almost 50 years ago!

Timmers said...

Hey! Those are my favorite pictures! They are in a frame over my tv. I have to look at you old hens everyday! Cluck cluck cluck. I want 3 layer cheesecake like Cyndi got.