Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Beach Thoughts, the first of a few....



Seagulls seem to be of the variety of creatures that proclaim : Every bird for himself!! There's very little cooperation seen as they sit at varying distance from my beach chair. In fact, I'm pretty sure there is some unspoken barrier around each bird. For instance, a smallish black-headed bird with a gloriously scarlet beak just landed some 12' away from me. All the while there has been sitting about 50' away a much larger white-headed,yellow beaked gull who at first glance is obviously meaner and stronger. He just stares. At a parallel point there sits another, slightly behind my chair is another and so on and so on....They don't talk(or is it not called talk in bird language?)or squawk or communicate much at all. They just sit and stare. OOPS!The one black-headed gull just changed from far away to closest with a graceful swoop. She must be a girl gull.




So another gull was flying parallel to the shore all alone, gazing across the waves and into the water and he barely glanced our way. What was that about? Weren't we interesting enough?



This morning as I walked along thinking my solitary thoughts, I spied a one-legged, scruffy, broken-winged, black-headed gull. He just sat , occasionally hopping forlornly and then gave up, looking very uncomfortable on his one leg. He was alone as well. I passed him and said to him(obviously a boy) out loud (good thing it was 6 am on the beach)"Well get up and fly like birds are supposed to , life would be alot more fun and a whole lot easier for you!"
REVELATION.

Stunned into momentary silence I made myself repeat the sentence to Mr. Seagull. (again, truly thankful people walking were very far away...)"Do what you are meant to do, and with or without a broken wing and missing foot life is alot easier..."


God does speak through the lives of His creatures, but shouldn't we be listening?
My broken wing and missing foot may or may not heal properly, but I can still SOAR and I intend to do just that starting in 2008, in my own, very personal, Year of Jubilee.

1 comment:

Timmers said...

OK, I have obviously been out of touch. When did you lose your foot? Dr. John B. Watson discovered seagull language and political system in 1907. I don't mean to be a know-it-all, but that last pic is a kite or parachute of some sort, not in fact, a seagull. I can see why you thought it was missing a foot, though.