Thursday, May 29, 2008

1971 was SO long ago!

When I woke up this morning I immediately knew the day was significant. You know how some days your head is all foggy and you cannot even recall what day it is, let alone that the day is significant? Well, this was different-I woke up so alert and aware of the day. I heard birds singing as I usually do, those morning kind that just do not stop chirping with happiness.

Totally annoying when you think about it- who is that cheery so early in the morning? I just want my first cup of coffee with that yummy International Creamer to take away the taste of coffee and make me think I am having dessert. Oh, suddenly it came to my head, clear as a bell.(where did that ding dong cliche' come from anyway??)That is when I realized why the day was significant, because that is when I remembered living with someone for 30 years who always woke up cheerful, ready to take on the world in a good mood. He also usually went straight to the kitchen and not only made coffee for us both, but soon thereafter brought me that first irreplaceable delicious cup, freshly brewed, steaming and in the perfect mug. Ah yes, those were the days!

Then I remembered, almost as quickly, a Bible verse I had read regarding memorializing previous happenings...it was in Ecclesiastes, I believe. There it is in chapter 7, right after those curious words telling me that the house of mourning is better than the house of feasting...
The end of a thing is better than the beginning;
The patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit.
Do not hasten in your spirit to be angry, for anger rests in the bosom of fools.
Do not say Why were the former days better than these? For you do not inquire wisely concerning this...





Today, 37 years fast forwarded from May 29, 1971, I am able to enjoy my freshly made cup of coffee, made with just the right amount of International Creamer. I even buy the fat free variety, just in case it helps me feel healthier - because it certainly isn't going to extend my life any longer than God has numbered my days! The birds singing aren't really reminding me of my truly well loved husband who is truly far away, but they are reminding me of God faithfully providing for me as a single woman flying solo in a really beautiful world He created for my enjoyment. Every single spring the same birds come back to the same trees and bushes and rafters, and make more babies and sing more songs, no matter what the condition of the world is. No matter there is an earthquake or war or famine or political scandal, God has kept the birds singing and the babies coming. He has also allowed me a few more years to enjoy my morning cup of coffee and look forward to what is in my path ahead.

It was sunny back then in 1971, and there was a beautiful blue sky. But to be truthful, I was really uncomfortable in that white scratchy dress, and I hated being in front of so many people, and the humidity was incredible and really nasty, and what about those little kids running around at the reception, and since we had no car we had to take a BUS to NYC for our 2 day honeymoon....-now that was annoying....

Looking backward often makes me stumble anyway, I need all of my vision focused on what is ahead.

1 comment:

Timmers said...

I remember this day too, it was my first real big job. I was in charge of getting signatures in the guest book. I executed my assigned task flawlessly, as usual, with little or no fanfare. I did my best to stay in the shadows, as it was Susan's day. But I think we all can agree, the second most important person at a wedding is the guest book attendant.If only my pants had fit.