Thursday, November 27, 2008

Oh Give THANKS to the Lord!!


Call upon His Name;
Make known HIS deeds among the peoples!
Sing to Him, sing Psalms to Him;
Talk of all His wondrous works!
Glory in His Holy Name;
Let the hearts of those rejoice who seek the Lord!
Seek the Lord and His strength;
Seek His face evermore!
Remember His marvelous works which He has done....

Psalm 105 goes on to list by name many of the marvelous works of God in the world's continuing history.

What a great place to begin early this Thanksgiving Day 2008 in my own personal History with God, Who is leading and dispensing as He desires: lovingly, wisely,
judiciously.

This year I am thanking Him for my health and my job, my home and my family, my life falling into an orderliness that I could not have imagined a few short years ago. I am thanking Him for friends who come and even those who go, for family , which for the moment has stayed the same in number. I thank Him for the many things that did NOT happen, something I am more and more aware of as the days go by and others deal with tragedy and troubles. I am certain to experience more heartaches and uncertainties, for we live in a world full of both, but for this moment in time, I am content to be mid-trial.

Together with the Psalmist, I seek His face. How that plays out has become more and more mysterious as the years go by. I seek His counsel, jumping eagerly into His Words already provided. I hesitate more, head into a problem more slowly, am unsure of all the answers, when at one time I knew them all. How can that be?

My heart rejoices, even as there are things that stop me in my tracks. This last week alone there were 2 days out of 7 spent in the hospital tending to the business of grand mothering, praying for, and waiting as my sugar pea Jesse had one event after another enter his little 5 year old world. Rejoice? Yes! because I KNOW God has it all lovingly handled and I can rest in that , while circumstances around me swirl and churn about, seemingly without reason or end.

More and more I must talk of all HIS wondrous works!! There are so many, so detailed and plentiful I feel badly that some of them are not shared with even random strangers. Like the other day at the grocery store when I went in for a few things having a little money, and came out with no money but ALOT of things!! The sales and bargains fairly leaped into my cart! Thank you Lord!!

One of my sons lost his job last week, and I was delighted to hear, when I asked my daughter how they felt, her calm response. "Well, " said she, "it certainly was a surprise, but God has a plan and we know that, so everything will work out, I'm sure." This from a woman with 5 children under the age of 7 years, a woman who is not living in a Pollyanna world, but rather in one where she has seen, known and felt the loving protective arms of her Heavenly Father God surround her in prior times of trouble. Oh yes!I rejoice in that truth and the knowledge that my children also know that Truth.

The Psalmist also mentions singing to God. Now I will go and enjoy the quiet home , dog and cat asleep, two adult sons safe downstairs, sunshine peeking through the barren tree greeting the morning, and sing to the Lord. I love Him so, and sometimes in the rush of life I even forget to say those words to Him. I love You Lord. Thank you.

1 comment:

Timmers said...

Isn't it funny how the older we get the more aware we become of the greatest gift, Jesus? I thank God for that unspeakable gift... through my circumstances, despite my failings, and many times, while living out the worldly consequences of my own poor choices. I am proud of you, Susan! I continue to be impressed by your children, and to me their solid stance is proof positive of your long standing trust in our Savior, and your ability to pass the faith along. Prayers for J&M&kids. U2!