Sunday, February 15, 2009

Celebrating Surprises



I had made plans with some single gals at work for Valentine's Day night. We would get together and then eat a quick dinner,laugh and have fun and see a movie, forgetting completely(hey!not even caring!!) we didn't have a real date or someone making us lobster tails or lavishing flowers on us. I was stoked. The date was marked, plans confirmed, time ticking forward and at last the BIG WEEK was here. I told my kids I couldn't babysit because, of course, I had plans.

Two of these newly discovered friends, soon to be plain co-workers, said they were not really feeling up to a night out. That's OK , I valiantly told them, there are three others of us to be together. Two more told me a bar could be fun, even dancing on the tabletops was all right by them. I knew I was in trouble, so casually mentioned I don't drink nor do I dance well on a floor, let alone a tabletop. We parted plans there.

But, not to be discouraged, I had one more friend who said that no matter what happened, she and I were going out. I could still claim to have a life!! I would not even think about romance and ridiculous sentiments, I was ready.

Friday morning I was informed that this friend of mine, potential soul mate, budding buddy, would be too tired from helping out her yet closer friend move houses, so she decided to back out. Wham. The woman who loves love and Valentine's Day was to be alone, scratching out the datebook plans, not babysitting for her children's children, having nothing to do but sit. I suppose there are television shows to watch and facebook people to stalk, but really, I had been in the mood to live a little.

Saturday morning brought sunshine in my hallway window, so immediately, if I was an omen believer in-er , I would say this was a good sign. I read my Through the Bible in a year chapter book, enjoying that the laws of Moses were not to be troubled by anymore, but that I could just be thankful we are freed from them by grace.

I totally savored to the fullest my first cup of coffee, hot from the percolator and doctored exactly right with my fat free vanilla International creamer. I think the creamer was made and distributed in Colorado, so why do they insist on making it sound so exotic? For losers like me who don't have Valentine's dates and whose husbands left them and who haven't travelled internationally in several decades? Hmmm?? I ask you, why not call it , Cow's Creamer? America's Moo Milk with flavoring?? Well, I digress, so back to my point.

The phone rang around 10:00 am and as I picked it up I wondered what could be better than the feeling I had of peacefully sipping my coffee and having a 4 day weekend ahead? Daughter Becca, asking me to go shopping with baby grandson and granddaughter, that's what! I was delighted to meet them, laugh at the latest antics and then lunch together. How could Valentine's Day be any better?







The phone rang again almost as soon as I placed the receiver on the hook. (Or, does anyone use that saying with cell phones and portable phones anymore?) I am so old.

A tiny little voice, barely audible, was saying something that started with "Grammy, hi it's me, Simon." He then politely asked me to please come to dinner and share the 'red meal' with them !! Oh my, things were looking up and the day had barely begun. Of course, I calmly said "yes, Simon, I can come over, what time?", all the while my insides shouting "Yay!!!!! I have plans and they don't involve work and they are with people who I know love me!!"



The afternoon fairly flew by as I shopped and chased two little people around stores, looking for red gifts to carry along to my supper engagement. Red is the color of choice, you understand. I found pajama pants for the boys, under $3.00 each and pink heart sweatshirts for the little girls. When I arrived at their house I made a trade-they sit for a picture, I give them a bag of goodies. It worked.








When I arrived back home, my mail was in my box, and as if life could not get any better, there was a pink envelope and a squishy package!! I am so not kidding, isn't God wonderfully kind to me??!! I had a Valentine gift from my special west coast friend Becky, who, although half my age and who has never really had a relationship that involved face to face talking with me, continues to lavish me with love that is a sweet reflection of God's love for me.

[OK, that was a run-on sentence, ask Rachel my English teacher daughter who also called me and said those precious words "Happy Valentine's Day, mom, I love you", earlier in this glorious day I am relaying]

I feel as though it is a direct gift from God each time Becky reaches out to me in love. My pink card was from a church friend who is starting to know who I really am, and not the person who co-workers think they have figured out.

Well, lest I bore the 2 people that might be reading this blog, my evening was hilariously perfect, concluding with dinner and children who not only can balance a spoon on their noses, but who listen intently whenever I tell a story, then when asked who their favorite person to love is , say Grammy with NO bribing involved whatsoever!!



Have I mentioned I love that thing called Love??

No comments: