Thursday, January 31, 2008

Blogs Beat Emails

I think the reason I prefer Blogs to Emails these days is the low expectation of a response.

On my email accounts{oh, and how frustrating to have 2 and still not receive messages!!} I usually assume that if I correspond with someone, for whatever reason(even a silly survey)I need to hear back from them! This is a need, based on a desire to actually communicate and find out how they are, what they have been up to, how they feel, etc. A general "care about you " attitude on my part.
My preference with people has always been to KNOW them and KNOW them well, a rare condition it appears, sometimes referred to as friend.

Now I am as guilty as the next person of ignoring an email from time to time, thinking I will get back to them after work, later in the day, when I am in a better mood[this is often the reason, btw], or secretly hoping they will forget I didn't answer and write me again. This is called Lazy. Yes, even a grandmother of 10 , mother of many, birdwatcher, cat tolerator, and Perfect parent[remember? I have a dog named Perfect??!!] can be Lazy. Hard to imagine, yet so true.

Anyhow, where was I? Oh, ignoring. On Blogs, you have no expectation of a response, thus, no ignoring! You just write, because you want to express something from within. I think it is an underrated system of communicating and I personally am going to change it. I am not that important , mind you, I just know people. Lots of people.

Blogs can be written, then forgotten. Or should someone happen to comment on your blog(thanks to timmers here) you can feel momentarily cared about, validated, affirmed. Should nobody comment, you do not have to know that nobody READ your blog, you can just be pro-active and go read somebody else!!

Now here is the beauty of Blogging. You can snoop into other people's minds and lives and never have a relationship with them!! No need to email! No need to wait for a hint of how they are! No need to care about them personally-just visit temporarily their exciting (or boring I just discovered this morning) lives and be gone. Away with you to your life filled with grandchildren and children and pets and friends!! Off you go to work or school or the grocery store with the biggest loss leaders! On with the TV and the LOST season opener...

Oh I love blogging, and am so sad that I am 5 years behind the times...think of all the wasted moments of feeling I was being ignored.So many emails written. Daughter in New Mexico informed me I was 5 years late on this 'rage' when I told her of my new blog.

Tsk, Tsk, better late then never. Excuse me now as I go read about the lost art of paper cutting....(don't they know why it should stay lost?)

1 comment:

Timmers said...

Now I know why you never answer the emails, you are waiting to be in a better mood! I shall not hold my breath. I have been offered money for my very young blog, that is another great benefit. If I get into political stuff, I could make upwards of 40 cents per day! I am marking up the Sears wishbook as we speak....The chips and dip are purchased. The soda is cold. Living room picked up, tv dusted and windexed. I refreshed on the season finale last night....let the new season begin! We are going 3 dimensional with LOST this season!