Thursday, January 17, 2008

If Mom is 77 , then I must be old


Happy Birthday Mom!

I am astounded that age 77 is a mere 20 years away. It seems like the gap between she and I has closed as the years stroll by. Is it possible that they are even getting closer together?

Well, mom was actually 77 yesterday, January 16, 2008.

Since I had brilliantly downloaded another anti-virus protection service and it 'imploded' my computer as it fought to keep the bad guys out along with the Comcast provided anti-virus protection [this was the young girl technician's word, not mine] we had a temporary computer meltdown here. I tried over and over to log onto the internet , all the time being told it was impossible by this machine that continues to be smarter than me. My solution was to uninstall my newest maneuver, fixing my own problem. As an aside, have you noticed how we often create our own problems, then want others to fix them? Just an aside.

Back to mom.

Maude gave birth to me at age 19, becoming pregnant at age 18, just out of high school. Her real name isn't Maude, it's just what I have called her as a silly pet name over the years. How could mom become a mother at such a young age and live so well until age 77 still loving and traveling and sewing and cooking and going to church and sharing of herself with MY children and grandchildren? My youngest son is the age she was[19] and THAT is impossible to imagine-that He could be a father! Amazing trip through the years I would say, very successful, very inspiring, very strenuous at times.

I am so weary already, the daily struggles and stresses often becoming my theme rather than my postscript. I want to be done raising kids, be done paying the bills, be through with all of the responsibility factors. But the road continues on, the traveling often leaving me bone tired and discouraged.

Then I call Maude. She chatters on about the weather or the latest trip she has planned or the
cutest little bird she saw at her feeder that morning. And I feel inspired to continue walking forward, getting out my binoculars for a clearer view of those little birds outside of MY window, all the while knowing that since she is ahead of me on this journey through life, and she declared it safe, I am OK. After all, she's my mom. And I love her, my always young mother.

3 comments:

Timmers said...

Hey, Susan, tell Mom that is a really pretty hot pink striped shirt she is wearing.

Anonymous said...

Ha, good one timmers! Say, that was a lovely tribute to your mother, enjoyed reading it! Time does travel faster as you get older, you may catch up with her yet! Thanks for the thoughtful post!

Unknown said...

very funny baby brother