Monday, January 14, 2008

Rediscovered!


As 2008 begins, I have rediscovered my BLOG! Last year when I began it, I was sure the answer to my ponderings was at my fingertips-I would BLOG! But alas, I lost how to get back into it!


So this morning as I wondered what other people thought about life, I rediscovered it!


Here we go-again.


I conquered a PHOBIA without drugs, intervention or alcohol.


I have been terrified of flying since a really nasty return trip from Brasil 32 years ago....the sight of an airplane flying overhead, the sounds from an airport, movies or news clips on TV, any mention of an upcoming trip ...all sent me into the intense mind game of " what if"?

I hated the comments made by the flying world. I resented the casual "trust God" advice givers. Don't they think I would have flown to ITALY where my son and his wife lived and loved? Don't they think I take my relationship with God very seriously and am not casual about FAITH? or TRUSTING HIM?!?


So for 32 years I was a prisoner of my fear..


On December 31, 2007 I decided to go for it- rid myself of my last holdout of faith. Trust God with the airplane and the pilot and my terror(yes, I meant that word) and just go. I sat between Rachel and Aric who live in New Mexcio and love it there. I prayed for grace to withstand the terror. People prayed for me, friends encouraged me, family was proud of me...and I flew. To New Mexico between the kids, back from New Mexico alone, next to an elderly PuertoRican non-English speaking stranger. wow. God allowed me to FEEL the terror and fly anyway. I hated every second of it until the plane pulled up to the gate. I do not want to fly again anytime soon. I know, however, that I will.Someday, sometime, I CAN. The phobia holds me captive no longer, and I am excited to beging this year 2008 as my own personal Year Of Jubilee.

1 comment:

Timmers said...

I had a well meaning church lady tell me once, "It doesn't matter if you are on the ground, or in the air, when it's you're time to go, it's you're time to go." I believe that. I also believe that while on the ground, it is easier to dodge the airplane parts falling from the sky, just in case it was THE PILOT'S TIME TO GO.